The history of Budapest Business School (BBS) began in 1857 when the Pest Academy of Commerce was established. In its current form, BBS is Hungary's largest university of applied sciences. The title is awarded to institutions in Hungary that provide its students with excellent, practice-oriented, utilizable programmes in line with the expectations of the labour market, conducts research activities in the field of applied sciences and has established extensive international cooperation with other educational institutions.
The faculty of the FFA offers 4 undergraduate, 4 master's, 5 higher-level vocational training, and several postgraduate and adult learning courses, both full-time and correspondence, in Hungarian and English.
The history of the FFA began with the establishment of the Pest Academy of Commerce, in 1857, and then that of the Eastern Academy of Commerce. Teaching was suspended between 1959 and 1962 and then resumed under the name of Higher-Level Vocational School of Finance and Accountancy. From the 1970/1971 academic year, it was called the College of Finance and Accountancy (CFA). Its campus was then transferred to its current location of the 14th district, Buzogány street, Zugló. In the 1971/1972 academic year, the College opened a regional institute in Zalaegerszeg, and in the following academic year in Salgótarján.
Budapest Business School (BBS) was established in 2000 from three previously separate colleges, which then became faculties: the Faculty of Finance and Accountancy, the Faculty of International Management and Business and the Faculty of Commerce, Hospitality and Tourism. In 2009, after starting the master’s programmes, the faculties became university faculties. In 2011, the Zalaegerszeg Faculty of Business Administration (GKZ) was created from the Zalaegerszeg Institute, which until 2020 was the fourth faculty of the University.
From 1st January 2016, the college has been operating under the name of Budapest Business School (BBS). In the Buzogány street campus, students have 24 seminar rooms, 12 computer rooms, 3 language classrooms, 2 medium size lecture halls (holding 100 to 200 people) and 3 large ones (holding 200 to 500 people) with modern equipment, a gym and a 50,000-volume library.
The 136-room, Bagolyvár Dormitory housing 374 students also operates in the campus building.
The Smart Campus in Berzsenyi Dániel Street, completed in September 2017, is the site of the master’s programmes in Business Management, the Team Academy programme, and the Budapest Lab Entrepreneurship Centre. One of the important goals in terms of the campus was to create a modern, sustainable educational environment that meets the needs of the 21st century, so in addition to state-of-the-art digital solutions, environmental awareness also received a prominent role.
In recent years, the Faculty's campus on Buzogány Street has also undergone significant development. The refurbishing of lecture hall III was completed in cooperation with ProcessSolution in 2018. In 2019, the Fintelligence Financial Education Centre, financed by UniCredit, was completed, and the greening of the Faculty began, the first sign of which was the completion of the green wall on the first floor. In the autumn of 2020, the renovation of the hall and a number of connected departmental offices was completed. According to our plans, the developments will continue with the Library.
In the coming years, the FFA will expand its building in Zugló with a new, modern community space connected to the hall. As part of the investment, which is expected to start in 2021, the building complex of the Faculty on Buzogány Street will increase with a total of 1,750 m2 of closed area, 650 m2 of green roof and 560 m2 of community space.
The faculty dormitory building will expand with a new central library, cultural and sports facilities, and a multifunctional student centre. The multifunctional centre will hold flexible and easy-to-shape community spaces, as well as cultural and sports functions in addition to the library, while the roof gardens and terraces will provide an excellent opportunity to relax and strengthen students' environmental awareness.