Our Department plays a prominent role primarily in foundation courses; therefore, we consider it important to provide the highest possible level of the theoretical and professional foundation for students through the teaching of various economic and management subjects. Our goal is to increase students' awareness of economic and economic policy issues, help them understand and evaluate micro, national and world economic information, and use it in economic practice. We are involved in both full-time (BSc/BA Hungarian and foreign language, MSc/MA, and Short-Cycle Vocational Programme) and part-time (BSc/BA, MSc/MA, and Short-Cycle Vocational Programme) education. In the above courses, students are taught a wide range of subjects in Hungarian and foreign languages (English, German). Our courses include compulsory, compulsory elective, and elective courses. This leads to the privileged position of getting to know and teach all the students of the faculty already in the first year.
Our department employs 10 full-time and one part-time lecturers, as well as one researcher. In addition, a colleague from the Department of Tourism, two from the Faculty of International Management and Business, one from the Faculty of Finance and Accountancy teach at our Department, as well as 6 visiting lecturers. 70% of our full-time lecturers and researchers hold a PhD (2 college professors, 2 associate professors, 1 senior research fellow and 2 college associate professors), the remaining 30% are currently participating in their doctoral studies.
The diversified research activities of the staff of the Department are brought together by a scientific workshop called KÖT. Some of our research is presented at a symposium entitled Multidisciplinary Challenges, Diverse Responses, organised by us, which is attended by an increasing number of participants from other faculties of BBU, other higher education institutions, and the private and public sectors. We also welcome our students to get involved in the academic work of the Department: we offer a number of theses, dissertation, and Student Research Society thesis topics to those who choose a member of our Department as their supervisor or who wish to participate in a joint workshop. We have also had a number of successful Student Research Society members, and in 2019 one of the 5 Outstanding Mentor Awards of the University was won by a colleague from our Department. Also, among our colleagues, we have the Outstanding Junior Lecturer of 2019.