Focus Areas - Applied research for economic and social impact
BBS's diverse research and academic activities are characterised by focusing on research topics that are relevant to corporate practice and economic actors and have practical relevance. Our research teams work on R&D projects together with important players in the Hungarian economy, always with the aim of achieving a specific social and economic impact, so that our results can be utilised. We also strive to ensure that the results of our research are disseminated in the field of education and encourage our students to participate in research and scientific activities. The development of new curricula and related materials, the writing of new textbooks and notes is an important part of our scientific activity. Over the past years, BBS has produced a number of textbooks, coursebooks, notes and e-learning materials that are used in several universities in the country.
In line with our strategy, we aim to increase the economic and social impact of our research, the number and visibility of our publications on several levels in the coming years. A significant part of the enhancement of high-level and international scientific activity takes place in the Centres of Excellence established by BBS. In the case of applied research, we aim to generate knowledge that is useful for everyday life, where possible in collaboration with business partners, thus strengthening the applied scientific approach. Equally important to us is the development of quality education and talent management, which will significantly expand the University's talent base and make science a real and meaningful goal for all teaching colleagues.
The profile of our Doctoral School of Entrepreneurship and Business is unique, as it is the first doctoral programme in Hungary that focuses its training and research on business and management issues of small and medium-sized enterprises. We were the first Hungarian institution with the status of a university of applied sciences to establish a Doctoral School.
Our Doctoral School offers a unique training programme in the Hungarian higher education space, from which both those interested in academic careers and those in close contact with business practice can benefit. Our graduates will enter the labour market as highly qualified professionals, teachers, and researchers, open to innovative approaches.
For further information, visit the Doctoral School website.
Centres of Excellence
In line with the BBS's strategic goals, we have established four Centres of Excellence at the University, starting in 2017, focusing on the four main areas of our applied research activities. The Centres of Excellence are key players in their respective fields of activity in Hungary, play an important role in the relationship between higher education and companies and carry out high quality applied scientific research relevant to practice, involving corporate partners and students. You can read more about the Centres of Excellence HERE.
BBS Centres of Excellence:
Development projects in international cooperation are an important part of our scientific activities. In the past, BBS has been involved in a number of scientific projects, often as project coordinator. The 12 scientific collaborations in which our partner institutions in 40 cities in 16 countries have participated stand out from the past years. These included 9 projects that contributed to the achievement of BBS's four core strategic objectives. In addition to publications, the results of international research collaborations have been translated into the development and renewal of teaching materials.
Key International Cooperation
- HEHE - interactive entrepreneurial skills development in higher education (2014–2016)
- INSIST – generational transitioning in the management of family businesses (2014–2016)
- MARCIEE - marketing communication innovativeness of European entrepreneurs (2014-2017)
- ICCAGE - intercultural communicative competence - competitive advantage in global employability (2015–2017)
- GREEN MENTOR - encouraging environmentally conscious entrepreneurship in the framework of an innovative ECVET-based training program for a new professional profile of a mentor of green entrepreneurs (2015-2017)
- TRUST ME - training program to develop unique skills and techniques for mentoring (2015–2018)
- FAME – family business sustainability and growth (2016-2018)
- CONSUME-AWARE - enhancing quality in innovative higher education about consumer awareness (2016-2019)
- MENTORCERTT - business mentoring and certification (2017–2019)
- ISSUE - innovative solutions for sustainability in education (2018-2021)
- EU-CAB - comparative analyses of European identities in business and every-day behaviour (2018-2021)
- DE-DROP - developing the motivation of adults at risk of drop out (2018–2021)
In 2019, we won 4 more international (ERASMUS + Strategic Partnership) tenders, out of which in two we are coordinators (INTEREST, CORALL),in two we are partners (INCOLLAB, EFFORT), 2 projects were successfully closed (FAME, CONSUME-AWARE) and 5 were continued (Erasmus+H2020) (MentorCert, ISSUE, DE-DROP, EU-CAB and REMINDER).
Faculty-related scientific activities
In addition to the university research focal points, our colleagues at the 3 Faculties of the BBS carry out faculty-specific research. Researchers and research teams are typically linked to individual departments, but collaborations across departments or even Faculties are becoming increasingly common. The main research topics of the faculties are listed below. Click on the Faculty to find out more.